What We Can Learn from Brian Williams
NBC Brian Williams’ saga of altering history, whether innocent or not, is instructive of the need to take great care about what you say and do in today’s world. As the old saying goes, words can weigh 1,000 pounds when it comes to recognizing your important and high profile relationship with the community you serve. While most of us don’t rise to the celebrity of Brian, we still have a mission to fulfill and to torpedo that mission with a misstatement or misdeed either real or perceived can consume years of recovery if ever fully restored at all. Take care now to follow four simple steps that can help you avoid the pitfalls that come with today’s information engorged world.
1. Be Prepared first of all by understanding the micro forces impacting on your industry and the macro forces such as social media that impact on ways we never imagined.
2. Understand your Purpose and mission thoroughly in light of the growing danger inherent in a world where getting knocked off course is more likely than ever.
3. Plan! ls planning obsolete in a world where change is constant, and relentless? Paradoxically, planning is more important than ever with a strong core accompanied with edges that are adaptable to the inevitable change that is upon us.
4. Perspective brings together all the above with the call to ethical leadership, often defined as “doing the right thing.”
The good news is that all four of the P’s consist of skill sets that you can learn to help you navigate the challenging yet exciting times in which we live.
For more information on my thoughts on Reputation Management and the Dodging Coconuts theory, visit www.RichGrossSolutions.com
We thought you might like...
Subscribe to Our Blog
Each week, our team of experts will put share their experiences, tips and viewpoints in all areas of higher education consulting, leadership, and fundraising. We're a team that consists of tenured individuals who have made it their life’s work to help solve some of the issues surrounding community colleges today. Some of our topics include:
- How to connect and establish relationships with your alumni
- Ways to create impact with all generations of people
- How to raise more on a tight budget
- How to properly manage your reputation online
- Ways to prepare for a feasibility study
- And more!
Leave a Comment